1. What information do we collect?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
(a) information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (which may include information about your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and page views);
(b) information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us, receiving our newsletters, updates and emails (including your email address);
(c) information that you provide when using our reminder service (which may include your insurance and other financial services renewal and/or expiry dates, and details of your insurance and other financial services providers);
(d) information that you provide when using a product search or completing an enquiry form (including your personal information, postcode, phone number and details relating to your requirements);
(e) information that you provide when entering a prize competition on the website;
(f) information that you provide to enable us to fulfil any prize won by you (which may include your postal address or bank details);
(g) information about purchases of financial products that you make on third party websites after you follow a hyperlink on our website (including the product purchased, the product provider and the date and time of the purchase);
(h) information supplied to us when you sign up to our money saving newsletter via a third party promotion, including via email campaigns, competition sites and survey websites (including your title, first name, surname and email address and in some cases your address and gender);
(i) any other information that you choose to send to us (including testimonials, feedback and questions).
2.2 We will send cookies to you (which may be stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive) for the following purposes:
(a) to enable the website to identify you while you are logged in and manage your sessions on the website (including assisting with website navigation);
(b) track purchases of products and services on third party websites; and
(c) to validate competition prize entries.
- to check if your browser is set to accept cookies we use the cookie cookiechecks
- to monitor how visitors use the site and optimise usability we use the cookies trVisitData, trVisitID and trVisitIDHash. These are deleted once you close your browser
- to enableFinancialAdvisor.co.uk members to remain logged in when they navigate around the site we use the cookie userinfo, and userinfo_member to identify members that have logged into the site in the past 30 days
- to temporarily record information that a user enters into the site before logging in we use the cookies money_ugc_waiting and money_object_waiting. We also use money_ugc_error and money_ugc_message to enable us to notify visitors that when something goes wrong with a post they have entered on the site. All of these cookies are deleted after 60 minutes
- to enable us to monitor the number of visitors that return to the site we use the permanent cookie trHash
- to prepopulate forms (like those used to login and reset passwords) we use the cookie user_email, this is deleted once you close your browser
- to facilitate navigation around the site we use the cookies sbnav and focus and val_deal_page, these are deleted when you close your browser
- to record your preferences relating toFinancialAdvisor.co.uk ‘Feedback’ the cookies we use are dzFBpreference and dzFBlater. These allow us to hide the ‘Feedback’ prompt or remind you if you opt to leave feedback later and are deleted once you close your browser
- to track recommendations via our ‘tell a friend’ functionality we use the cookie memberReferralId
- to store information about overlays we use the cookie money_ugc_overlay
- to temporarily store a user-selected value whilst loging in we use cookie money_alert_waiting
- to enable the user to switch to desktop version from mobile site we use the cookie desktopMode
- to record when you sign up to our email updates from the homepage we use the cookie dzSignedUpForNewsletter
2.3 Use of our website will also result in cookies generated by third parties being sent to you, as follows:
2.4 Most browsers (like Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer) allow you to disable cookies, although doing so is likely to have a negative impact on the usability of any website you then visit.
You can view most of the cookies currently on your browser, and choose to opt out of them via www.aboutads.info/choices/.
You can also find out how to opt out of the cookies used by each of the third parties specifically mentioned above via:
2.5 Google Analytics collects information anonymously. It reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page.
3. Using your personal information
3.2 Information you enter into a product search or enquiry form may be:
(a) shared with a third party so we are able to provide you with information about the products and/or services you requested. This may include introducing you to a broker who will either contact you direct to discuss your requirements or arrange for a qualified advisor to do so on their behalf. All the companies we work with are FCA regulated where relevant.
(b) stored internally and held against your FinancialAdvisor.co.uk profile if we detect you have a FinancialAdvisor.co.uk account.
3.3 If you enter a competition, we may use your personal information to manage any competition entries you submit, validate such competition entries, and send you any prizes you may win.
3.4 If you sign up for our comparison table email service, we may use your personal information to send you emails regarding the comparison tables you requested. If you give your consent, we may also provide this information to third parties to enable them to notify you of suitable products and services at the appropriate time.
3.5 If you sign up to receive our newsletters, we will use your personal information to send you the newsletter and manage your subscription.
3.6 More generally, we may use your personal information to:
(a) administer and enable your use of the website;
(b) improve your browsing experience by personalising the website (which may include the service of targeted offers for products and services);
(c) provide third parties with statistical information about our users (but this information will not be used to identify any individual user);
(d) deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website;
(e) investigate the misuse or alleged misuse of the website; and
(f) send you email notifications when products you have told us you are interested in are introduced, or when products you hold change.
(g) send you other periodic emails that you will have the ability to control the frequency of or unsubscribe from at any time.
3.7 We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing.
4. Other disclosures
(a) to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
(b) in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
(c) in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk); and
(d) to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling.
5. International data transfers
6. Security of your personal information
6.1 We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
6.2 We will store all the personal information you provide in our password-protected database. Our servers are protected by a firewall. In addition, all pages on the website relating to your personal information will be protected using SSL technology, and account details (including passwords)will be stored in our database in an encrypted form.
6.3 Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
6.4 You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. We will not ask you for your password (save when you log on to the website).
6.5 Some user content will be published on the website such as testimonials.
6.6 Should you wish to keep your identity anonymous when you post on the website, this will be your sole responsibility.
7. Policy amendments
8. Your rights
8.1 You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee (currently fixed at £10.00).
8.2 You may instruct us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes at any time by using our website contact information. (In practice, you will usually either expressly agree in advance to our use of your personal information for marketing purposes, or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of the use of your personal information for marketing purposes.)
9. Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
10. Updating information
Please keep the account information we hold about you up-to-date. You are able to amend your account information when logged in to your account.
The data controller in respect of personal information submitted to our website is Abnay Investments Limited.
We adhere to the Data Protection Act 1998.